Friday 2 September 2011

Thing 13: Google Docs, Wikis and Dropbox

Some tools for sharing and collaboration that could be useful this week, but after assessing them I'm not going to use any immediately. I've recorded my impressions for future reference.

I've now tried Googledocs. I first became aware of collaborative tools a few years ago in relation to community ICT. I've also collaborated on documents at work within a document management system - all changes tracked and no need to let Google have your documents. If you are collaborating outside your organisation then Googledocs could be the answer provided the other people also have Googledocs.

I'm beginning to be a little spooked by Google, Yahoo or Facebook identifying me, knowing what I am doing and what they think I like (very broad interests, so probably wrong). Over-personalisation. I use another browser, not logged in, when I want a more anonymous, less tailored view/presence.

If I have no document management system and want access from multiple computers or to share files the Dropbox would work but I think I'll skip it for the moment. So many logins to remember...

A few years ago we set up a Wiki for LIANZA ITSIG - so that we and other librarians could experiment. I haven't uploaded to another Wiki but will remember the free PBWorks for library staff collaborative Wikis. The ITSIG Wiki had spam so whatever tool I use would have to allow password access for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment