Friday 15 July 2011

Thing 4: first tweets and an app

I've used RSS feeds for a long time - in my Firefox toolbar so that I can scan it without moving off the page I'm on. I like to track news, both here with the BBC and in New Zealand (Stuff and Radio NZ). I also have job feeds as I'm job-hunting, my daughter's blogs and a few other ones.

I've now set up Twitter and tweeted twice and am following some too. More open about my identity - my name seems to show alongside my nickname if I'm not logged in. Hmm.

I've rebranded my blog (the background is of puffins I photographed off Skomer in May). I added the same photo of myself to Facebook and Twitter). I discovered that Twitter cropped the top of my head, so had to reupload a squarer photo. In New Zealand heads are regarded as tapu by Maori and you should not display only part of a head. Nearly 30 years living there has given me a different cultural perspective from the one I grew up with in Britain.

I've also added Pushnote to my browser and boldly given it access to my Twitter and Facebook accounts. Perhaps I'll use it tomorrow. I am reminded that I also put Tweetdeck on my PC a couple of months ago when I started exploring social media. Now might be a good time to experiment with it. (Well, tomorrow as it's late)

I think that RSS really is the most useful of these tools so far (into my toolbar). Maybe because it is already embedded in my habits.

I can get my current affairs alongside my library and other blogs all feeding into something that is there without waiting for it to load when I take a break. However, it isn't interactive so I'll have to see how Twitter, etc go, perhaps compared with the interactivity of email lists and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment