Tuesday 29 November 2011

Thing 23: Reflection

"Upskill?" "Free CPD"
"Reflect.. blog"
"Finished!"

(almost - just need to write this post;-)

This programme has given me the incentive to try out several tools, some that I knew of and others I did not. It has also caused me to reflect on my experiences, relationship to the profession, etc. I started CPD23 as a means of filling gaps I had identified in my experience, such as blogging, and an awareness of the lack of recent formal PD, having been contracting.

Although I am blogging, I am still not comfortable making my personal thoughts public. I am much happier publishing information about research, services, etc.

Immediate short term goal: to develop better use of my family history society's library. I may need to further develop my negotiation and marketing skills to achieve this in my existing volunteer role. Longer term I would love a role using my interest and experience in genealogy, but initial investigation shows that it is probably not feasible to earn my living as a genealogist!

I modified my long term aim and have developed a Plan, but do not want to make it public.

Developing the plan involved looking for job adverts and role descriptions. I then identified how I could gain the missing experience and skills and looked for opportunities such as courses and volunteering. I have previously been through the same process in formal annual reviews.

I have enjoyed this course. I have enjoyed reading blogs of some of the other participants but regret missing the face to face and real time networking opportunities. It has given me a real chance for some training when I have a zero training budget (ie only short term contracts). I will certainly be following through some of the things I have learnt. If there is another course, I'll probably be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment